So what happens in that "worst-case" scenario, when a loss prevention person taps you on the shoulder and asks you to come to their back room gulag for questioning? Be careful what you do next. Here are some ideas:
WHEN LOSS PREVENTION WANTS TO HASSLE YOU:
1. Don't volunteer any statements, especially if they would admit guilt. Ask to speak with your lawyer immediately. You do not have to answer these peoples' questions. They will threaten to call the cops. The cops are coming no matter what you say, so just be quiet and wait for them.
2. Don't sign any confessions. The loss prevention people are not there to help you. They will sometimes hand you a confession to sign. Don't let them bully you into signing anything. Signing a confession is bad.
3. Don't agree to have your picture taken by the loss prevention people. They can't make you have your picture taken; they are store employees not cops. They will try to get you to make all sorts of admissions. You do not even need to give loss prevention, store security or mall security your identification.
4. Don't answer the loss prevention questions about other thefts they may try to implicate you in, such as "we know you stole x, y and z...". If they could prove this they wouldnt need to ask you about it. 5. The cops are coming. Just wait for then to arrive, and peacefully accompany them to booking. Note that the real cops CAN take your pictures, but you still dont have to answer their questions.
WHEN THE REAL COPS ARRIVE:
1. Peacefully go along with the arresting cop.
2. Ask to speak to you lawyer immediately.
3. Remain silent about the alleged offense.
4. Do not sign any confessions.
5. Do not agree to "interviews" with the police about theft charges.
1. Program my cell phone number 1-603-785-6458 into your phone right now!
2. If there is any possibility of a weekend arrest have cash for bail on hand.
3. Think about who you would call for a ride if needed from the police station.
Have a safe and happy holiday and Happy Black Friday!
Remember, call me right away after you get released: 1-603-785-6458.
Lawyer Up and Shut Up. Watch this youtube video: